Sunday, April 15, 2007

Life, the Universe, and Everything...

I don't know if Douglas Adams was a baseball fan, but I suspect it's highly improbable that he was. Still, I think he'd smile if he knew how many baseball players will be wearing number 42 upon their backs today. They'll wear it to honor Jackie Robinson, who first wore it before Adams was even born. It's funny how a particular number can become associated with a person. Sixty years ago today, when Robinson first walked out to first base at Ebbetts Field, I doubt many in attendance gave his uniform number much thought. As Bob Timmermann noted the other day over at the Griddle, it's likely that 42 was just the next uniform available when Jackie made the team. If, however, everything Adams said was true, then it was a clear sign from the cosmos that an event of great significance was taking place. So it goes.

I've never been especially happy that MLB decided to retire 42 across the entire league. Part of that is Dodger fannish possessiveness, feeling that since Jackie was a Dodger, it should be the Dodgers that honor him in that way. There's also this nagging feeling that it was all just a marketing stunt on MLB's part, cynically calculated to cash in while patting itself on the back for something that most of the Lords of Baseball were opposed to when it happened.

On the other hand, I do like the fact that many players, and some entire teams, will wear number 42 today to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Jackie's first game. I think Ken Griffey's original idea to do it was a terrific one, and I salute the individual players who decided to follow suit. The cynic in me does wonder about the entire teams that decided to wear the number, whether it was the players who decided to do it, or just that the marketing departments that saw a golden opportunity, but I'll just let it pass and assume the best. If nothing else, it means I get to see the Dodgers on TV for the first time this season, and that's always a good thing.

---
Meanwhile, the Onion has their own take the subject.

Jeff Kent To Wear No. 42 To Honor Mariano Rivera

No comments: